I finally realized one of my fantasies — wearing dress shirts with my art.
A couple years ago I developed another technique in my project Revisualizing the Visual. We were in transition at the time, so I never did a proper web page for the technique, which I called the nd series. However, here are a few examples, to give you an idea.
Each image is a transformation of part of a photo according to various parameters that I set according to my aesthetic evaluation. Partly because they are based on photos, the results are unlike standard wallpaper or textile patterns or tessellations, in that they are not formed from repeating elements. There are similar pieces throughout, but there is no ordered repetition to the pieces.
I had long thought that some of the nd series would look good on a dress shirt, and that it would be fun to wear a dress shirt with my art. Last fall, with the encouragement of my sister-in-law and the prodding of my wife, I finally got around to figuring out how to realize my vision. There were some glitches along the way, but in the end I printed the fabric with my art using Spoonflower, and I had a local tailor, Siegfried Hartmann, make the shirts. I am very pleased with the results, which you can see for yourself: